Sunday, June 20, 2010

More Adventures in Paradise: Kuai

I've often mentioned that one of the perks of my job is that it has taken me to some unique places that, chances are, I might never have gotten to on my own.   And if I did happen to get there, I probably would not have stayed in the same level of accommodations that my clients customarily provide for me.

Having said all that, I just returned from Kuai, the northernmost island in the Hawaiian chain of islands.  The St, Regis hotel was in an absolutely stunning location overlooking Hanalie Bay with a wall of green mountains as a backdrop.  Several times throughout the day, brief rain showers over the mountains would create breath-taking rainbows and glories.  Each one more amazing than the one before.   Just gorgeous!


This was an incentive trip for a corporation and my assignment was to photograph a group of about 80 of the companies top sellers, along with their significant others, happily enjoying themselves surfing, diving, boating, hiking and fishing in a lush tropical paradise.

I know, I know...  "Tough job, but somebody's got to do it".  Right?

The fact is, although the scenery is amazing, it really is quite a rigorous exorcize in photography.

The best lighting for scenic pictures is usually found at sunrise and sunset, especially on an island.  So, it's up at dawn to get that spectacular sunrise on the water shot and then, the rest of the day is spent trying to spread yourself out enough to cover as many events as possible.  An evening event is usually on the agenda and then it's off to your room to to download a few hundred images, do some color corrections and sometimes prepare print orders to be displayed the next day.


I have worked this type of assignment in Rome, Alaska, Ireland, Bermuda and most of the Hawaiian Islands and each location has had its own collection of unique challenges.

Still, you're busting your ass in an exotic location, so there's that.

My good friends Dan and Frank from Altered Image were along on the assignment.  Dan was shooting HD video.  The fast moving clouds and rainbows made for some great footage and Dan's coverage of the island and the events was very impressive.  Frank was helping cover some of daily events with his still camera, while also directing an awards program to be held mid week.


I've been using a Nikon D3 for most of these assignments, carrying along a D200 as a backup or second camera.   I used two basic lenses the entire week, a Nikon 24-70 2.8 and a Nikon 70-300 3.5 VR and due to the grand views of the island, I found myself using the 24-70 most of the time.  It was also the perfect focal length for photographing couples and large groups, the largest of which was just under 200 people.


I brought along the same tripod that I brought with me to Kenya.  The Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 is small enough to fit in my suitcase, strong enough to support a 300mm lens and light enough to carry all day.  I was also able to strap it to the top of a ladder to shoot the group.

If you can only bring one accessory, make sure it is a circular polarizer.  Nothing reduces glare and helps to separate the clouds from a blue sky the same way.  It will also eliminate most reflections allowing you to see right down into the water.  Definitely an essential part of your kit.


I used Adobe's Lightroom to color-correct and manage all the images and I won't leave home without it.

I find the switch to photography both a challenge and an asset to working in video.  Good composition and lens selection are essential in both mediums and training in one will certainly enhance the other.

The project was a success and once I clear my jet-lagged head, I can sort through a few hundred images and make my selects.  Paradise was fun and I appreciate the work, but I'm really happy to be back home.

www.duckyou.com
www.duckem.com

No comments:

Post a Comment