Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I'm Shooting in the Rain

I bought raincoats for my EX1 and EX3 cameras this week from an outfit called Camrade.   I promised myself that would continue my personal quest to film in and  around NYC, despite the grim weather that appears every time I have spare time to shoot.   Nonetheless, I insist on keeping my vow and I’ll feel a lot better with the camera protected from the elements.   I’ll also be able to stay in business, longer.

I had been using my Sony Z1 HDV for this kind of stuff, but I’ve been spoiled by the higher quality of XDCAM.


There are few things I’ve learned about outdoor shooting:
1.     Get off the main road.
2.     Get out of your car.
3.     Bring a tripod.
4.     Don’t wait for a sunny day.



The first two sound obvious, but they’re not.  Scouting for a great shot from your car is like looking for a good movie from outside the video store.   There are dynamic images all around, but sometimes you have to just stop and stare awhile.   I’ve shot a lot of beautiful footage in Ireland, but from the comfort of our car, one town looks just like the next, as do the gorgeous, rolling, green hills between those towns.  But, a short walk into a field or out to the coast will yield remarkable imagery.

And using Ireland as an example, well, there’s a place you just can’t sit around waiting for a sunny day.  You just have to make the best of the Irish Mist and start shooting.  Regardless of where you are filming, make sure that your camera is well protected.  Especially if you might get hit by ocean spray.



The first step is to cover your lens with a UV filter.  This not only keeps it dry, it also protects the lens from greasy fingers and potential dings.  You can leave it on all the time.  If a camera raincoat is not within your immediate grasp, grab a plastic garbage bag and make your own.  After cutting holes for the lens and eyepiece, make sure to secure those areas with a rubber band or two to prevent water from getting into the camera.   

On a rainy day the white sky can be 3 or 4 stops brighter than the ground below, so a grad filter can help modify the light.  I usually carry several different densities of graduated filters from Formatt that fit my matte box, but you can find less expensive screw-on filters, as well.

I like using a tripod when shooting in the rain as it gives me an extra hand when trying to focus or change exposure with a cover on the camera. 

I’ve yet to find a tripod that will get ruined in the rain and I find it to be a great asset when the camera is in a raincoat or covered with plastic.  This is especially true in winter, when I want any free hand to be in my pocket. 



As a side note, I do make sure to rinse off the tripod’s legs and feet immediately after the shoot if they’ve come in contact with mud, sand and especially, salt water.  I also protect them with a little silicone spray before leaving the studio.

This weekend I was back out on the streets filming.  There was only a light sprinkle of rain, but I confidently worked through it.  The reflections of cars on the wet streets gave a beautiful glow to the images. 



I appeared to be the only nut, out in the rain with a camera, but the shots were worth the effort and there is no way I could have filmed them in the warm comfort of my living room.

www.duckyou.com
www.duckem.com

No comments:

Post a Comment