Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My Father’s Camera



My interest in photography and video is clearly due to my father.  My dad loved taking pictures and he carried his camera, a Pentax H1A, everywhere.  His job took him on the road daily and he was always looking for visual opportunities.



He would find pretty country scenes and photograph them from the same position in all four seasons and he had a passion for fire trucks and steam engines, so many of our vacations included museums and restored railroads.

He only used the 50mm Takumar lens that came with the camera.  Nothing else and he shot amazing images.  If he wanted to get closer, he moved closer and in place of a wide-angle lens, he moved back.
In fact, the only other accessories I remember was an A1 skylight filter on the lens and a little blower brush that he carried in his bag.  His real focus was taking pictures, not collecting gear.

He competed in local camera club competitions and often won awards.  More importantly, he documented people and place that are no longer with us.

All was good and then, without warning, it happened.  My dad became a photo gear junkie. 

First, a 100mm lens, then, a 35mm lens.  A flash, filters, light meter, the list grew.  Now, instead of taking pictures he was fussing with his accessories.   His image quality rapidly tanked and the new camera bag when filled with all the gadgets was so heavy that he hardly ever brought it along.  Eventually, he bought a point & shoot to take pictures of the grand kids and his photographs never looked the same again.

Very sad, it was.  He genuinely had talent.

I keep his camera on my shelf as a reminder that the image and the story that you tell with that image, is much more important than the camera you shot it with. 

Although it’s nice to own the latest HD camera with a matte box and follow focus, you don't need all that stuff to make your first film.   I’ve recently seen many documentaries created with lower resolution formats like DV, Hi8 and even Super8 and Video 8mm appearing on HBO and several other cable programs.



If you can afford the best, by all means, go for it. Until then, use the best equipment available to you

If you have a story to tell, tell it in whatever medium you can get your hands on.  Get out there and document people, places and events that mean something to you.  Document these things now, because they may not wait around until you get the camera of your dreams.


2 comments:

  1. I remember that blower brush. I used to stroke it on my cheek and puff, puff, puff.

    Great entry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I used to rub it on my nose, which probably transferred grease directly to his lens.

    ReplyDelete